What inspired you to start Siloh Floral? 

Well, simply put — flowers stir my heart. There is an intrigue and a mystery to flowers that make me dream and wonder. Ever since I was a little girl, I loved creating things with my hands. I started working with flowers six years ago and I still cry a little when I see the perfect garden rose. After working with a couple other designers, I decided to branch out on my own and start my company.

How did you get the name?

Siloh comes from the word silhouette. A silhouette has shape, texture, and movement that evokes different emotions and meaning for each person. Just as a painting or a sculpture inspires and moves people, I believe floral design is a way to cultivate beauty and art and awaken memory, affection, and wonder.

A silhouette is also a shadow. I believe all beauty, art, and design are just shadows of something greater — a truer, richer, fuller beauty. The hope of Siloh Floral Artistry is that people are inspired and moved to dream just a bit more.

What is your favorite thing about your job?

No part of floral design is ever the same. I love working with elements that are alive and changing. I love the space that flowers leave for imagination and longing. There is a lot of excited squealing that happens daily in my job.

Michele Hart Photography

Michele Hart Photography

What has God taught you through the process of starting your own business?

Patience. Trust. Reliance. New gifts. Things that I’m really bad at. Things that are challenging and I want to get better at. It’s been one of the hardest things I’ve ever done, and even though sometimes it can feel really isolating to run my own company, I know I’m not alone. He sees me in this.

How do you see flowers connect to the creator of the Universe?

To me, God’s creativity is so obvious in my job. I learn something new every day; whether that be a new type of flower, the different ways a garden rose opens, or little sprigs of greens popping up in my backyard. Something is always surprising.

What has been one your favorite events to make bouquets for?

Earlier this year, I designed for a private 40th birthday celebration. My client surprised his wife with a 40th birthday bash. Their closest friends all gathered around one long table and shared incredible food and drinks. Followed by ballroom dance lessons. Once I learned more about his wife, her husband basically gave the coordinator and I full freedom to come up with a unique design that would represent her style, taste, and personality. I got to create a tablescape of florals in one of my favorite color palettes to-date. I love that he wanted to celebrate her birthday so well.

Megan W Photography

Megan W. Photography

Favorite flower?

That’s like asking a mother to pick a favorite child – it’s just not fair. But if I had to choose (at this very moment) it would be a distant drum garden rose. It’s complex, deep, rich, yet soft and feminine. And its smell is to die for!

Any behind the scenes secrets you can share?

This is not really a secret, but what I’ve learned is that it is always a process. There is always going to be something you can do better, always something to learn, always something to challenge yourself with. I am constantly developing my design style. It evolves and changes every year, maybe every month. That’s how it should be, I think.

What encouragement can you give for other women wanting to start their own business?

Never in a million years did I think I’d start my own business. I actually switched from a business major to a communications major in college because I absolutely hated business. It’s just not how my brain works. But here I am. And while some days I hate it, I wouldn’t do anything else. It’s hard, oh believe me, it’s hard. But I think it’s totally worth it to see something that you invest your full heart and mind into to grow and flourish. So my advice, or perhaps encouragement, would be to do it. Don’t wait. Don’t wait for a perfect time or just the right circumstances. There will never be the “right” time. Do it. It’ll be worth it.

To see more of Liz’s portfolio (and possibly hire her for your next event), click here.

*cover photo by Brumley and Wells Photography